Monday 24 November 2014

The First Quality Measured OR FQM

By Birbal Boniface Musoba
In a very old fashioned way of expressing chivalry, I was never raised to idly stand by when heavy loads are being packed into vehicles, regardless of who was doing the packing. But as I stood in that cool morning breeze that had become such a rare occurrence as one of the hottest summers on record in Zambia flared, overlooking so much green my eyes couldn’t believe such colour existed in nature, in that instance I couldn’t help load the vehicle; other people were being thoroughly compensated to ensure that the goods were packed, but more than the thought of taking food out of a working man’s mouth, safety reasons prohibited me from helping least I sue a corporation for restitution – ok, maybe, just maybe, a little part of me was rejoicing at the prospect of not engaging in manual labour when the weather’s invitation to be enjoyed could not be resisted even with a lion’s heart.
But as I stood by and, in awe, watched FQM’s Health Promotion officers jam-pack the mud laced Toyota Land Cruiser, I could tell that the day that laid ahead held remarkable promise. Although, one could have argued that the euphoria I was feeling was a subconscious response to the Officers’ packing the Land Cruiser with life saving drugs, condoms and malaria, syphilis, gonorrhoea and HIV and AIDS test kits for people living in the remote areas of Kalumibila – well, full disclosure, Kalumbila in its entirety is a remote area – thus, giving me a falsified sense of doing good by association, or that because the Land Cruiser was a repurposed ambulance, it fostered in me an erroneous sense of safety. Whatever Freud’s reasoning would have been for that moment, all I knew and cared about was that that Wednesday was teaming with such promise and I intended to ride that wave to the bitter end.
My unbridled optimism held for the most part of the morning until we started hurtling down a gravel road that, from my point of fright, seemed to be the bumpiest and most treacherous gravel road ever paved by insane men playing at God. The Officer driving the erstwhile ambulance cruiser offered no comfort, as with blithe, he sped down the road with what can only be described as either reckless ease or balls-swinging confidence in his faculties or, in my soon to be piss-stained opinion barring any change, utter disregard for human life. At that moment, driving in that ambulance in the back seat, my mind could not but think of the many dead bodies that might have been ferried in it in the same controlled and seasoned rash. How ironic, I brilliantly concluded, would it be if my demise came in such a vehicle, even more so with the contents we were trafficking.
Then it hit me, maybe the Officer was speeding because of his unwavering focus and drive – pan intended – to reach the Northern Resettlement area of Kalumbila in order to administer, as quickly as possible, this life saving programme FQM has poured millions of dollars into establishing and sustaining. This thought calmed me down as I allowed myself to believe that a person who pursued his job with such diligence would not allow himself to take any life for granted, more so than mine the hundreds of expectant families needing the packages the Officers so brazenly packed and were brashly transporting.
I calmed down further when I realised that FQM and its Health Promotional Officers had been doing this for a long time, more specifically since 2010, even before the resettlement of 560 families that became displaced from their ancestral homes so that their virgin, wild, mineral rich lands could be explored, subdued and tamed. Even before the relocation venture in 2013, an initiative that cost the multinational mining and metals company, a company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange in Canada and the London Stock Exchange in the United Kingdom, US$11.6 million, of which US$10,762,147 was to build 560 houses, seven churches, a school and pay repatriation and disturbance allowances1, FQM had been running community outreach and health promotion programmes, programmes it insists it had to set up because of the need that was there in the community, an apparent need that the Zambian government, as a whole. could not fill.
At that precise moment, everything started to click as the gears of my mind started turning at a rational pace. Speeding down that gravel road at 85km/hr was now reminiscent of the light speed at which FQM had developed that once luscious green forest and farmland into something that resembles a town, with hospital, clinics, schools, ATMs, roads and churches in tow. Maybe that is why the Officer was driving with such ferocious speed down the road, his head bopping up and down as he showed his unrivalled proficiency in multitasking with his incessant texting, because such drive, such speed, such determination with which FQM had developed and achieved and continues to achieve so much is what it instils in its employees, using it to maximise their potential and, thus, exploit the most possible turnover. In that moment, a clear sense of clarity overcame my every sense – this is what Spider-Man must feel everytime before he takes a shit  – maybe this multinational corporation has finally gotten it right. I mean schools, churches, roads, housing, payouts, hospitals – things that before the exodus were nonexistent – and community health outreach programmes; I mean who doesn’t want that?! Who doesn’t need that?! Maybe some corporations, this multinational corporation in particular, as Stephen Colbert farcically puts it, ‘are people too’ and they care for more than just the bottom line.
“Water sanitation is the major problem that we are facing in this community!” Chrispine Chipolongu, a local business owner in his mid-thirties living in the Northern Resettlement area, said. His nostrils were now flaring, his breathing had increased, and I knew I had hit the sweet spot.
“If you had to go around the community, you will find that a lot of boreholes are buggered already,” he continued, talking at rapid pace as if punctuations would kill the urgency of his message. “And I can’t even be sure if the damage to the boreholes is as a result of the boreholes being made from cheap materials or they are being vandalised by the community; all I am sure of is that if I was to draw water from that well in the middle of the market and give it to you, you wouldn’t drink it – the colour is different, it looks like it was diluted with petrol.”
He was now speaking with such passion and conviction that I did not dare interrupt him. His eyes beamed, beckoning at me, not to say that he blamed me per say, but more of a plea for him to be heard, for someone to listen and do something about it.
“This is not just a small matter because how are people expected to survive if the water that they need for everything is contaminated and killing them!” he continued, only pausing to see if I was not just listening but hearing him as well. “The elders in the community have tried to complain, and FQM knows about this, but nothing is being done about this because they have gotten what they wanted (rights to mine the minerals), so why should they care or listen anymore? Tell me why?”
I did not have answer for his question, neither did I want speculate on matters I did not fully grasp. All I could do was draw water from that well in the middle of the market. A young girl, maybe six or seven, pumped the water for me as I placed an empty bottled water container in front of the tap, one of many bottled water we, together with the Officers, brought along to drink when we got slightly parched because we could not be bothered to drink the borehole water. As the young girl cranked the lever away with such joy and enthusiasm of helping a total stranger – it still baffled me how the people in the remotest of areas, who only have the bare minimum of essential to survive on can be so willing to go out of their way for a total stranger – her face beaming with a grin from ear to ear, I couldn’t help but think of what Sharon, the twenty-something lone-school teacher at Sheneng’ene, another resettled area by FQM, told me when I asked her about people’s living conditions after the resettlement.
“The most precious commodity here is Flagyl,” she said with no whiff of sarcasm or bitterness, just a matter of fact. “We take it daily because the water causes us such severe diarrhoea and stomach cramps that we need to take Flagyl as a preventative measure. Coz what else are we supposed to do? Are we going to stop drinking water or using it to cook our food?”
As I sat outside the Ndola offices of Nkanza Laboratories awaiting the results for the water purity test I had requested and performed out of my own pocket, my mind wondered back to the days I spent in Kalumbila, to all that I saw and experienced, to all that heard and witnessed. In that moment, I realised that, even as the Lab Assistant was walking towards me with the results, at an unbearably sluggishly slow pace, a battle of wills still raged on within me; on one part I was naively failing to believe that such cruelty existed in the world with the sole purpose of maximising the bottom line, and on the other hand, I misguidedly but apologetically needed to believe that human beings were ungrateful and unappreciative of what’s done for them when they themselves could not do it. My mind was stuck in limbo, but as the Lab Assistant drew nearer – a fucking dying monkey moves faster than he was moving – I knew that without a shadow of doubt, with a clarity I hadn't had in years  - scientific data tends to do that to unzealots - that I could not not do anything if I wanted to live with myself a day longer.
“Motherfucker!” I exclaimed upon reading the results.
The End


No comments:

Post a Comment